Sunday, January 15, 2012

Classic Rock Never Takes the Weekend Off

Just me and the cats this weekend. Saturday, painted and hung the closet doors, did a 7-mile run, watched the Patriots-Broncos debacle at a sports bar with wings. Today, fixed the back door, cleared out the tool case, ran another 7 miles. More chicken, more football and Moneyball on DVD await. Listened to Springsteen yesterday (my Lucky Touch mix, plus for the first time probably, Devils & Dust, which I liked quite a bit).

Human Touch is an outstanding song but a rather lousy album; but I always liked Lucky Town. I bought both these albums for cheap at K-Mart in Elkton back in '92. Cassettes, since I listened in the car almost exclusively then.


Streaming The River now and remembering that although I owned this as soon as it came out in December of 1980 it was probably too much me at 14. For example, I rarely if ever played Side 4. I'm only now working at separating liking Springsteen because I was supposed to (my initial attraction was more about imitating my brother, who is 7 years older and also aligning my tastes with what I knew was critically acclaimed). It's a great record when you're in the mood for it, and though it was hard to slot in with its predecessors, there are pieces of 'USA' and 'Nebraska' all over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment