Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Nowhere is far Enough Away

Here I'm trying to write for 10 or 12 minutes straight while my wife puts the boy to bed and before I go running. This pretty much is exactly why I make so little time to write, my day doesn't allow it. But I'm going to see how it goes because I need to get into the habit. I can't even worry if it's any good.

The girl upstairs has been practicing the electric guitar. Same song over and over. But good for her. Her folks had a rough split up not long after we moved downstairs from them. Her dad is not allowed past the fence in front of the property but you could tell when he came how bad he missed his girl as a result of the split. She was maybe 9 or 10 years old and used to scream a lot. Her dad doesn't come around much anymore, not that I've seen. Her Mom appears angry much of the time. I feel bad for all of them, they are Polish immigrants like a lot of our neighborhood. Having a horrible divorce in a foreign country has got to be an unsettling experience.

So maybe what you do is give your young teen daughter a guitar and amp and let her go to town. I thought for a long time she was playing Sheryl Crow's 'Leaving Las Vegas' but realized halfway through writing this it was 'You Shook Me All Night Long.' She did the solo pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment